Sunday, November 30, 2008

    Two Thanksgivings

    Thanksgiving came early this year. My in-laws visited the weekend before, and we celebrated a Faux Thanksgiving. Whole Foods provided the turkey; brussels (I fell in love with them years ago thanks to WF due to the way they roast and almost burn them); rolls; sweet and mashed potatoes; gravy, cranberry sauce with citrus; cherry pie with vanilla bean ice cream; red wine; and prosecco that I added pomegranate seeds to for a festive cocktail. I'd never deseeded a pom before, and the kitchen looked like bloody murder afterwards! (Note: check out this video for a slightly less messy but seemingly more complicated way to deseed poms. I think I'll stick with my way!)

    I also made fried green tomatoes with panko for my Northern in-laws; a pumpkin seed pesto cause Jon loves everything pumpkin; and a straight-from-the-cranberry-bag recipe for basic cranberry sauce for my citrus-averse husband.

    As is most's tradition, for the next few days, we ate turkey sandwiches, turkey curry casserole, and turkey salad. Thus, on Thanksgiving proper, Jon and I traveled to Key Largo, where we avoided turkey like the plague and instead gobbled blackened mahi sandwiches, conch fritters, key lime pie, and pina coladas.

    No comments: